Sunday, February 5, 2012

Blog Post #2

Did You Know? 3.0- A John Strange 2012 Version
This video by Dr. Strange was covering and explaining the statistics of technology, jobs, and of course the future. I am very impressed that so many children and also children from other countries are getting ahead in this crazy world. After watching this video I am absolutely shocked about some of the statistics that were put in this video.
When going through my daily life I am not even paying attention to the fact that I send that many text messages a day and that I am constantly on my computer. I have always though that was a bad thing. In my opinion with some of the parents getting their children laptops when they are young is giving them a head start on technology. I do after school care at a local school and I am so shocked that so many of those children know how to use the computer and even the I-Phones. Can you imagine what our future leaders of America will be like? We will have some really smart technology people.


Mr. Winkle Wakes
In the video Mr. Winkle Wakes by Mathew Needleman, it is telling the story of Mr. Winkle who wakes up after falling asleep for 100 years. When he wakes he is shocked to see that the world has changed so much. The technology in the hospitals and the offices have even changed. He was worried that he was sick, so he went to the hospital; he realized it wasn’t going to make him any better. He finally found a school. He went in and felt safe. He soon realized that the schools had never really changed but besides they had computers.
In my opinion it is great that the schools now have all this technology, when I was in elementary schools we had computers but we didn’t have the smart boards. The smart boards were an amazing invention. It is getting the students more hand on learning. I myself learn better by hands on activities. I feel as though if we had those when I was in school, I would have done a lot better.

Sir Ken Robinson: The Importance of Creativity.
In this video Sir Ken Robinson talks about creativity in education and how important that it is. Half of the kids now are not as creative as they should be. It is always just about getting it done and getting a grade. In order to make a subject fun, the teacher should be creative in teaching it. Sir Ken Robinson talks about teaching math and the teachers dancing around. In my opinion if my teacher started dancing around to a math problem then I would actually want to learn. As I said in my paragraph above I am a hands on learner. I would think that dancing and playing games with a subject would be a great way to learn.
Now I understand that teachers mostly do it in Kindergarten and all through elementary. But think about this, If teachers made it fun in high school don’t you think we would have more students graduating? We would have more graduates having better jobs.

A Vision for 21st Century Learning
In this video A Vision for 21st Century Learning the main point they say is that the traditional way of learning in the classroom is passive. I think technology is really important in education. I don’t think that books and lectures are as necessary. I feel like in the near future technology will take over the classroom. Students are learning a lot more through technology. It is opening their eyes to bigger and better things. The students will be more successful in school and beyond that.

Vicki Davis: Harness Your Students’ Digital Smarts
As I have said in several paragraphs above technology is awesome. Vicki Davis has a very interesting point in this video, she said that when you only have pen and paper that is where students are going to have a difficult time. In the classroom you will face so many different personalities with wanting to learn. You will have some students that are reading learners then you will have some that are hands on. That is where technology comes into play.
It was great to hear that Mrs. Davis sticks to the curriculum but also listens to the students’ interests and what they want to learn. She lets them “brainstorm” some ideas and that helps the students also let them teach themselves and also to teach Vicki Davis some things too.

2 comments:

  1. Hello McKinley! You have the same background for your blog that I do. It is fantastic! I like the way you repeated your point throughout your post regarding technology being "awesome" and necessary for today's students. We, as educators, must realize how important technology and social media is and will continue to be to our students. It is imperative that we create life long learners who will own the knowledge that we impart rather than recite and regurgitate it. What do you think about Vickie Davis's concept of presenting new terminology to her students without defining the terms? She expects her students to Google them and take ownership of their education. I look forward to your answer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello McKinley,

    Overall, you did a good job of responding to the basic requirements of the prompts for this blog post. You didn't include a picture, though, and you need to do that for each post. The body of the post was slightly repetitive with each section beginning with something like "In this video..." so you just need to watch out for using the same intro each time. I understand that it's difficult to come up with interesting ways of introducing a discussion about different videos back to back, but there are some tricks you can use.

    You made a good point in your talk about creativity. If teachers in high school made it a point to harness the creativity of their students, then those students would be more likely to pay attention in class and learn the material. The difficulty that arises from this situation is that teachers have to follow a strict curriculum and "teach to a test" and that severely limits what can be done. However, if the teacher uses his or her creativity, I'm sure he or she can find ways to implement the technology and the interest of his or her students in the classroom effectively.

    Good work.

    ReplyDelete