Sunday, March 25, 2012

Blog Post #8

This Is How We Dream Part 1 and 2
By: Richard Miller

While watching this video by Richard Miller, I realized that everything is on the internet. The computer and technology is taking over pencils and paper. Kids will no longer need those once essential items in school anymore. There are so many changes coming in the world and one big change is with technology. As Richard Miller is stating is that you no longer have to send a e-mail or text. There are many more ways to communicate through the computer. Ways like communicating through Skype, I-meet, or Google Hangout.
     I keep reading and watching all these videos and articles that we are assigned and it makes me excited to think that I can use all of these ideas with my kids. I realize that in Physical Education you are not in a learning curriculum like you would be if you were sitting in a classroom. But the way I want to teach in the gym, the students are going to be learning a lot. After having some wonderful Physical Education teachers and being able to see and participate in what they taught, it has given me an advantage to use the same ideas or some better ways to teach my students. One example of what I would be teaching is the different sports. The students would be learning the rules, techniques, and how to play. I can use the computer or smartboard to teach the fundamentals of the sport before they play.
       This all is going to be a big change to students and teachers. But I believe that in our environment now that we can handle change. The change is not coming at us at one time, but it is coming gradually. This will be a great thing for the future and I am totally ready to take this change and use it to benefit my students in so many ways.

Dreams



Blog Post #12 by Carly Pugh

After reading Carly's Blog Post #12, I am totally blown away of all of how creative she is. Carly really took the time on her blog to write all these great things to use for being a teacher and using multimedia in the classroom. After I read her Blog Post #12, I actually read on to other post that she has written. Carly ahas encouraged me to keep writing on my blog even after this class is over. Thanks for sharing everything Carly.

The Chipper Series and EDM 310 for Dummies

When I watched the The Chipper Series I laughed the whole time. How Chipper acted in this video was the way I acted before I enrolled in EDM310. Now that I am in the class, EDM is all that I do. This class has taught me so much about Time Management and how to use my creativity. This was a really great video to watch. Thanks Dr. Strange.

While watching the video EDM 310 for Dummies , I can relate to this video too. When I first began to take this class I was overwhelmed just like the two girls in the video. There were times when I to wanted to throw my laptop down cause I was so aggravated about the work and time that was needed to put into this class. But now that I am in this class I have a different attitude towards this class all together. I enjoy writing post on my blogs and learning about all these ideas that teachers use. I am very proud of myself cause I have now used Time Management. I never did before and I now know that it is important in this class.
     I think it would really be fun to get a group together and make a cool video to set an example for the next group coming into the EDM 310 class. I know that the future EDMer's will feel the sam way I did. I think it would be great to be a good influence for people just like me.
source

Learn to Change, Change to Learn

This was a really great video to watch. They stated in the video that children our their own space. That space would be the "technology space". Children learn almost as much outside the classroom as much as they do inside the classroom. They are right that we need a change in the classroom, but haven't we already had a huge change? our classrooms are filling up with technology. The curriculum that the students learn, they learn off of technology. In this time now the student steps into the classroom already knowing how to use most technology.
   I believe that is an advantage. The students are a step closer to learning more things that they will be learning in the classroom. I personally don't think that there needs to be much more change in the classroom.

Scavenger Hunt 2.0


Step #1: Locate a tool that is similar to Twitter/Facebook and provides a social platform for teachers, parents, and students.
    For this step I used Emodo. After looking over this website, I think it would be a great tool to use in the classroom. I like how it had the same layout as Facebook did. I am reallt going to use this tool when I become a teacher. It is a great website to use so that the parents and students can interact with me and see what all that I will have planned for the year.

Step #2: The Emodo website is actually Free. This is a great thing because you never find anything free anymore. For this website being free you will find more interacting between you and the Parents or students. Many people now-a-days wont pay for social networking.

Step #3: To make a comic strip I went to Pixton. It was a free and easy way to make a comic strip. You coulees choose how long you wanted it to be and also the background color. It allowed you to become the artist for the day.


Step #5: Find a tool to create a poll anywhere at anytime. I found a website called PollCode. It is a quick and easy way to create a poll and it is FREE. Here is my poll.

Do you think that the EDM 310 class will help you with teaching in the future?


  
pollcode.com free polls 

3 comments:

  1. Hello Ms. Kennedy,

    I was assigned to read and comment on your post. At first glance I was impressed at the amount of time you invested in this post. I have read several post and found most of them to look and feel as though they were written at the last moment. As I read through your multilevel post, I started to get as sense of your grasp and opinions on the material we were asked to watch and review. I felt you did understand the material at hand and you were able to type out a substantial post on the content.

    However, there were some serious issues with your writing structure and one of your post in this assignment felt as though it was lacking some content.
    My first constructive criticism is on the Carly paragraph. I honestly felt like this was a portable paragraph. In the other paragraphs you added value to the content. Not only was I reading a good review of the material, but you added a piece of yourself into the written post. In the paragraph on Carly's blog, I feel, you either were unclear on what you were asked to do or you did not thoroughly read her post. Again, I could be wrong, but with the amount of material presented in your writing and if I had never read her post, I was unable to understand the point of Carly's blog based on your writing.

    I want to move into your grammatical structures. Even though your grasp was tight and your opinions were of quality measure, your ability to type out your thoughts may need some work. Each paragraph was fraught with misplaced articles, words used incorrectly, and spelling errors. For example, in your paragraph EDM310 for Dummies you wrote, "I to wanted to throw my laptop down cause I was so aggravated". You again used the word cause incorrectly in a following sentence on "Time management". Almost every paragraph had one of the above issues, which severely detracts from your valuable opinion and your ability to show your grasp on the material. The fix for this is easy, proofread. When you are done writing out your material, walk away for a few minutes, few hours, or a day. Then come back to your material and proofread your post. Whether it is reading it out loud or just letting someone else read your post. In almost every post I have read, the above mentioned issues were common and my advice was the same. The difference in your post from others I have read, for me, was the pride in your work. This is very important, I think, to be a teacher in our educational system. I believe with helpful criticism you will be well on your way to writing powerful and insightful blogs. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this amazing material.

    Sincerely,
    Jason Lynch
    EDM310 MW4

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jason correctly identifies your paragraph on Carly's post as a portable paragraph. It adds nothing to our understanding of writing with multimedia (or actually anything).

    Jason is also correct about the necessity to avoid using slang in an academic posting. Cause should be because.

    "...when I to wanted..." to should be too.

    "but haven't we already had a huge change? our classrooms are filling up with technology. The curriculum that the students learn, they learn off of technology. In this time now the student steps into the classroom already knowing how to use most technology." Our (capitalize our) classrooms may have some technology available but they certainly are not filled with technology. And technology is rarely used in Mobile County classes, at least those I have visited. I would add that I think the students do know how to use technology in order to communicate and be entertained. However, they certainly do not know how to use modern technologies as powerful learning tools. Unfortunately, neither do the teachers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What's up McKinley? How we use technology in our Phys Ed classroom's are going to be much different than the way our other classmates are going to. I think when non-phys ed majors read our blogs they do not understand where we are coming from. While technology has begun to fill up our classrooms, we do need to remember we are in a rural state, with low graduation rates and even lower college attendance rates. We have to keep technology simple cause many of these students will go directly into the workforce. I also agree with you on EDM 310 for Dummies. I have wanted to throw my laptop down more in this class than ever before, I feel like we were left out to dry with this class. I like your idea of getting a group together to make a video for incoming edm310 students. Us Phys Ed majors need to make a video for the phys ed majors next semester. Love the comic! Wish life actually worked like that!
    -Michael

    ReplyDelete