Sunday, April 8, 2012

Blog Post #10

Do You Teach or Do you Educate?

This video that we were assigned to watch was so powerful. I could watch it over and over again and still relate to it in so many ways. I didn't realize that was a true difference in being a teacher and being an educator. I can honestly say that in my education I have a been taught by a lot of teachers. I have mostly had teachers that have been there to just teach, not to be a supporter or a role model to me. I know from experience that those kind of teachers didn't influence me in school. They made the curriculum that they were supposed to be teaching me boring.
    I had one teacher that was a true educator. She was my Spanish and English teacher. I had this teacher for 6th grade English and she was great at teaching and I learned so much. When I got to 7th grade I had a little trouble learning some things. Worried that I was going to fail the class, I went to her and asked if she could help me with what I needed help with. After that day she told me that whenever I needed help to come back. I went back everyday and got help with the confusing things. She would spend all the time that I needed to help me with that work. What I have found with a lot of teachers that I have had, is that they teach you a certain subject and expect you to learn in the hour or so you have for class. If you don't get it, they say "oh well" and they move on.
    This video really inspired me to lean more to becoming an educator instead of a teacher. It is excites me to think that I will have such a huge impact on a student's life when I start becoming an educator. I believe it is really important to be a role model to the students. Teachers need to support the students to reach their goals. I enjoyed watching this video and I was glad that it was assigned this week.


Adventures in Pencil Integration: Don't Let Them Take The Pencils Home

This post was assigned to us was very confusing at first. I had to read it over and over again to realize what was being said. I really think that pencils and paper are not a bad thing. These items cause creativity in a child. That is much more than having neither can do. The person was in this conversation was thinking that pencils were being a distraction and not helping the students learn. I really just didn't understand this post. With students taking home pencils, why would that affect the test scores? Whatever the person was thinking was crazy. Maybe I am being to harsh with the subject.
   As a future educator, I will allow the students to use pencils.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mckinley,
    I am a student in edm310. I really enjoyed reading your blog post #10. I agree with you! I would much rather educate than teach, it is definitely more effective. As far as the, "Don't Let Them Take The Pencils Home" post, I was a bit confused as well.
    Thanks for your time,
    Kristi L. Jackson

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did not understand that Johnson's (Spencer's) commentary was an extended metaphor or allegory in which pencils were computers.

    Go back and read it again with this in mind.

    ReplyDelete