Sunday, April 1, 2012

Blog Post #9

Mr. Mclung's Post: What I've Learned This Year (2008-2009)

     In this post Mr. Mclung is reflecting on his first year of teaching in Noel, Missouri. He explains that he did not know what to expect when teaching. He was a young and inexperienced teacher and did not fully understand what was going to happen. I myself can relate to that feeling of not knowing what to expect. That is exactly how I felt when I started the EDM 310 class. I also know that is the same feeling that I will get when I begin my teaching career.
      Mr. Mclung stated that all during college, he felt as though it was all about the teachers. I have never felt like it was all about the teachers, I have always been "put the students first", I feel that as a teacher that you need to think about your students when you are making up a lesson plan or planning something to do that day of class. The same concept goes toward lesson plans. Mr. Mclung said in his post, that "No lessons plans are perfect. The lesson you teach and the one you plan are always different". I agree with this statement 100%. It is fairly rare that you always follow your lesson plan when you are a teacher.
Two important points that I have learned over the years and what I will be using as a teacher is communication and being reasonable. Mr. Mclung mentions those two in his blog.                           Communication is the number one thing that you must use in your classroom. If there is a problem, you need to communicate to work it out. There is no time for drama in the real world. The second point is being reasonable. Give positive feedback to the students. We as teachers need to learn that if the student fails towards their goal, then we need to learn to pick them up.
    The last but very important point that Mr. Mclung touches that I really think hits home is to not be afraid to use technology. Before I started the Edm class I was not expecting to start using technology in my classroom. But now I am wanting to use it in the classroom. It will be a great thing to start using it in the gym as a Physical Education teacher. I cant wait to get my students started on a great learning career.



Mr. Mclung's Post What I Learned This Year (2009-2010)

     In Mr. Mclung's Post, this is his second year teaching. This time he is at a Junior High. That was a whole new ball game for Mr. Mclung. As he stated this year held many first for him as a teacher. While teaching at the Junior High, Mr. Mclung taught Social Studies and History. What Mr. Mclung explained in this post was that with becoming a teacher we have to learn to adapt to all the new things that come towards us. Teachers need to get out of their comfort zone, and not seem afraid to try new things while teaching the students.
      Mr. Mclung really mapped out what the future teachers needed to know before going out in that big scary world of teaching. I am really glad that we were assigned to read this blog. It is like a guide of what I need to know before stepping in the classroom.
     One point that Mr. Mclung stated that really stuck in my head was to let the students think for themselves. In my past schooling I have actually been lucky enough  to have had teachers that have gave me lead way to think for myself. Another point that Mr. Mclung talked about, that I think goes along perfectly with letting the students think by themselves is being passionate about what you are doing. I think that if the teachers are not passionate about teaching then the students suffer. Teachers are role models to their students, and they need to stay positive when teaching.
    I believe that reading this post by Mr. Mclung has really been a eye opener on what to expect when I become a teacher. I cant wait to be able to change lives and really make a big impact on my students.

2 comments:

  1. "Mr. Mclung's Post: What I've Learned This Year (2008-2009)

    In this post Mr. Mclung... You misspell his name throughout your post. McClung not Mclung!

    " There is no time for drama in the real world. " It all depends on what you mean by drama!

    I hope you will make annual reflections like Mr. McClung.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoyed reading your post. You had a few sentences that could have used some commas in them, just to avoid confusion for the reader, but other than that I couldn't find any big mistakes. You did misspell his name, but Dr. Strange already pointed that out. I like how you pointed out that this was like a guide of what we could expect as teachers. I thought so too. I hope to find the time to make annual reflections like this just because it will show me what I have learned over the years and how I have grown as a teacher. Great post!

    ReplyDelete